아래 글은 제가 직접 쓴 토익시험 연습용 이메일입니다. 읽어 보시고 질문에 답해 보세요.
I’m writing today to tell you just how disappointed I was in the service I received last time I visited your establishment. I’ve been a regular customer of Strayhan’s Family Tavern for more than five years, and until my last visit, had truly enjoyed the food, environment and friendly staff as well. Last Tuesday, however, things were entirely different.
From the very moment we walked in the door, I could tell that the service was not up to par. There was no host or attendant on duty to welcome us, and we waited for a good five minutes before anyone at all showed up. After that, things only slightly improved. The server who took our order treated us with a rough and churlish attitude – unlike what I had grown accustomed to at your restaurant. He seemed put out by our mere presence.
When the food finally did arrive, it was lukewarm and one of the dishes was not as we had ordered it. My wife is a strict vegetarian and had specifically requested that the ham be removed from her Cobb salad. It was not, however, and she had to remove it herself. When we summoned the waiter again to ask him about this, he merely shook his head and said that the chef must’ve made a mistake. He took no responsibility and offered no solution or means to rectify the situation.
Needless to say, I was appalled by the service that evening and even contemplated never returning. Due to the years of good memories that my family and I have shared at Strayhan’s, however, I felt that before making any rash decisions I would at least notify you first and offer you the chance to make this right.
I trust that you will take this matter seriously and do your utmost to restore the level of service in your restaurant to its former levels.
1. What word best characterizes the letter writer’s state of mind?
2. A synonym for the word “establishment” as it appears in the first sentence would be:
3. When did the letter writer become dissatisfied with the service at Strayhan’s?
A. five years ago
B. five months ago
C. last Tuesday
D. He didn’t say.
4. A synonym for the word “lukewarm” as it is used in the third paragraph would be:
C. room temperature
5. Which word is NOT a synonym for the word “churlish” as it appears in paragraph 2?
6. What would be a suitable synonym for the word “rectify” as it is used in the last sentence of the third paragraph.