최근에 제 트위터를 통해서 배포한 표현 10 개를 묶어서 올립니다.평상시에 휴대폰으로나 이메일을 통해서 하루에 하나씩 이런 표현 연습을 받고 싶으면 @EnglishinKorean에 가셔서 팔로잉하시면 됩니다.
1. 오늘의 표현으로 상대방의 말에 동의할 때 쓰는 말들입니다. 1. You took the words right out of my mouth: 그 말을 하려던 참이었어요. 직역: 내 입에서 그 말을 빼앗아갔네.
그리고 비슷한 경우에 쓰는 말은 ‘You read my mind (우리 뭔가 통했네)’와 ‘That’s what I’m talking about’도 있고 ‘That’s precisely my point’라는 고급스러운 표현도 있습니다.
- A: Wanna get out of here?
- B: Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth!
2. It’s not a good fit: 잘 맞지 않다. I’m glad you quit that job. It was never a good fit (for you) anyway.
- Life abroad has never really been a good fit for me.
3. We’re not out of the woods yet: 아직 안심할 때가 아니다. The patient’s condition has improved immensely, but we’re not out of the woods yet.
- I think the fight has mostly blown over, but there’s still a lot of tension. We’re not out of the woods yet.
4. Audacity: 뻔뻔스러움. He had the audacity to claim that I caused the accident when it was obviously his fault. 유의어: gall. What gall that man has!
- How could he have the audacity to blame me for his mistakes like that?
5. To tag along: 따라가다/같이 가다. A. I’m doing a radio show tomorrow at EBS. B.Mind if I tag along? A: (거절) Yes, I do mind. / (승낙) No, I don’t mind.
- I tagged along yesterday with my friends for their date but I definitely felt like a third wheel.
6. To have a green thumb: 식물을 잘 기르다. Q: My houseplants aren’t doing well. What should I do? A: My grandmother has a green thumb. Let’s ask her.
- My houseplants have all lasted so long. I guess I really do have a green thumb.
7. I got this / This is on me: 내가 쏠게요. Let me grab my wallet so I can pay my share. B: That’s all right. I got this. You pay for the noraebang.
- This americano is on me.
8. To botch something: 망치다. I got almost all the way through the performance with no mistakes, but then I botched the finale.
- I completely botched the pronunciation of some hard words in my presentation yesterday.
9. 게거품 물다: to foam at the mouth. Have you seen the boss yet today? He’s foaming at the mouth over the way you botched the presentation.
- All I did was lightly bump into his car and now he’s foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog!
10. (그리고 덤으로 많은 영한 사전에서도 찾을 수 없는 표현) To balk at: (제안, 계획, 부탁 등에) 코웃음 치다. My father balked at the idea of financing my translation business.
- The warlord balked at the idea of surrendering his weapons.