어휘 공부하실 때 항상 알아두세요. 어려운 어휘를 외웠는데 활용할 수 없으면 말 그대로 쓸데없는 단어를 배운 거죠. 많은 단어를 얕게 배우는 것보다 적은 수의 단어를 깊이 배우고 예문도 암기해서 쓸 수 있다면 훨씬 좋은 거예요.
다음에 외국인 친구와 이야기할 때 아래 단어 중 하나를 꼭 쓰는 걸 우리의 목표로 삼읍시다!
Vocabulary Builder 3
1. Inexplicable: 불가해한
- How could those animals have known there was going to be an earthquake before it even struck? Animal sense is truly inexplicable.
2. Uncanny: 초인적인, 초자연적인, 신기한 (유의어: supernatural)
- My wife has the uncanny ability to always tell when I’m hiding something from her.
- He has an uncanny resemblance to President Obama.
3. Kitsch: 촌스러운 장식품
- I traveled to the Chinese countryside to find some deeper Asian wisdom but all I found was Kung-fu kitsch.
4. Laconic: (간결한, 말이 별로 없는)
- For a while she attempted to maintain correspondence with her husband during his dispatch to the front lines, but his continuously laconic replies soon frustrated her attempts at long-distance connection.
5. Slew: 많음, 다수 (명사)
- I thought he was displeased because of his supervisor, but when I met with him personally, he confessed a slew of complaints.
6. Panache: 겉치레
- Have you every seen him give a presentation? He has a surprising amount of panache.
7. Affluent: 부유한, 유복한 (유의어: wealthy, rich)
- He hails from an affluent suburb of Washington D.C.
8. Lucrative: 득이 되는, 수익 많은 (유의어: profitable)
- He runs a very lucrative poultry farm on the outskirts of town.
9. Esoteric: 심오한, 심원한
- I enjoy his writing, but at times he gets a little too deep into esoteric Christian doctrine.
10. Exude: 풍기다
- He exudes masculinity.
- I think the way he exudes professionalism and courtesy has always helped to earn him respect among his peers.