오늘 두 번째 어휘 학습을 올립니다. 첫 글에서 말씀드렸듯이 단어를 선택하는 기준은 유용할 것 같지만 한국사람들이 많이 활용하지 않는 단어들입니다.
1. Litter: (쓰레기를) 무단 투기하다, (명사형) 쓰레기
이 단어의 첫 음절에 들어가는 모음 소리가 한글로 표현하기 힘든 짧은 E (ih) 소리립니다. 긴 ‘E’ 소리인 ‘이’하고 다릅니다.
- I think many people would rather not litter but there is such a scarcity of trash cans in Korea, that they finally just give up.
- I enjoyed my trip to the ski resort, but was really disappointed to see so much litter on the mountain.
2. Transaction: 거래
- Under the cash-less cabin policy, a credit card card transaction is now the only way to purchase snacks and drinks onboard many planes.
- The automated ticketing machines at light rail stations are convenient but change for all cash transactions is returned in dollar coins and not bills.
3. Notorious: 악명 높은
- A notorious drug dealer was finally nabbed by police last weekend in Baja, Mexico.
4. Spectator (경기 따위의) 관객
- A spectator was injured when a piece of a broken bat flew into the stands and struck him in the face.
5. Flaw: 빈틈, 흠
- This shirt has a flaw in the seam, so it has never fit properly.
6. Harrowing: 무섭고 험한. (보통 ‘trip’이나 ‘voyage’ 앞에 쓰고 그럴 때 ‘난항’라고 해석하시면 됩니다)
- Due to choppy seas, we had a harrowing trip on the boat over from Busan.
7. Impromptu: 즉석에서 하는, 즉흥적으로
- The composer sat down at the piano and gave an impromptu performance of his most famous pieces.
8. Docile: 유순한
- That breed of dog is especially known for its docile nature.
9. Gibberish: 횡설수설, 지껄이는 말 (주로 너무 난해해서 알아들을 수 없는 말에 대해서나, 쓸데없는 말이라고 깎아내릴 때 쓰는 표현입니다)
- He keeps talking a lot of science gibberish that I can’t understand.
10. Aficionado: 애호가
- Ex-governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, was known to be a cigar aficionado.
11. Pagan: 이단
- Many American holiday traditions are based on ancient pagan customs.
12. Inconsiderate: 남을 배려하지 않은
- I think people who watch TV loudly on the subway are extremely inconsiderate.
13. Impeccable: 나무랄 데 없는, 완벽한
- His English grammar is impeccable.
14. Squander (탕진하다)
- He inherited a fortune from his father but he squandered it away gambling and drinking.
15. Deity: 신
- All of the world’s major religions are monotheistic, meaning that they believe in one god.
16. Deter: 말리다, 방지하다
- Nothing will deter me in the pursuit of my dreams.
17. Indignant: (억울해서) 분개한
- He was indignant at his boss’s failure to mention his contributions to the success of the project.
18. Spiel (호객하는 말)
- I listened to his whole spiel about why his company would be the best option for us to go with, but I still wasn’t convinced.
19. Insular (배타적인, 섬처럼 고립된)
- Korean communities abroad, with their separate Korean churches, video stores, grocery stores, and restaurants are often described as insular.
20. Scrupulous (성실한, 견실한, 양심적인)
- Police have pledged to carry out the their investigation into the politician’s illicit activities in an upright and scrupulous manner.
In vain (헛되이)
이 표현을 보면 전태일의 마지막 말이 생각나요.
- ‘나의 죽음을 헛되이 하지 마라’
- ‘Don’t let my death be in vain.’
In the name of ~ (~의 이름으로)
- The Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition are just two of the many atrocities carried out by misguided zealots in the name of Christianity.